Adult Day Care Center – A Place for The Elderly
Our elderly parents very often need our support to help them to settle in their retired lives. While trying to find a solution to the issue, we may come across all types of services that are available for taking care of senior citizens. Due to your preoccupation with a job and having your own family to look after, you may not be able to provide them support. (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”) In such a case, adult day care can prove to be a blessing for many. Adult day care is beneficial to those senior citizens who need the company of people during daytime.
However, when you decide to utilize the services of an adult day care center for your elderly mother or father, ensure that they are also involved in the decision – making. The thought of adult day care center is very upsetting for an elderly parent because it gives them a feeling of being neglected or being treated as an infant who needs looking after. It is best to avoid using the phrase ‘adult day care’ while suggesting, as the elderly are sensitive people and may think you are putting them away, someplace.
There may be church programs in your local parish that the senior citizens can address pass their time rewardingly, and many prefer to do so. The other option is, of course, a day care center where they can enjoy the company of other likeminded people. (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”)
The ideal way to find a suitable adult day care center is to conduct a tour along with your elderly parent to find out what options exist locally and make the choice together. You may, however, want to get some prior information regarding the adult day care center by making enquiries with them. Some of the pertinent questions could be:
- Is transportation facility available at the assisted care facilities? Does that facility continue to operate all day? This is needed so that your parent does not get stranded at the facility for lack of transportation. (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”)
- Do they have qualified medical personnel to address the elderly in case there is any medical emergency? (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”)
- Is there an arrangement for food and beverages for a day-long stay? Are the food services sensitive to diet restrictions prescribed by the doctor? (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”) This would be a pertinent question if your parent is a diabetic and must follow a restricted diet.
- How many elders are present at the care center on any given day? Too few would imply that the center is not providing good service and too many would mean lack of attention for your parent in the large crowd. (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”)
- What are the costs involved?
The activities and entertainment provided for the elderly at the adult day care center are an incentive for them to go there. “For example, during the football season, if the center provides a place for all the men to gather and cheer for the game, it will be more enjoyable for your dad rather than being alone in the apartment watching the game.” (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”) If the adult day care center has a variety of activities like card games or puzzles that appeal to everyone, then it will be a fun place for your parent to pass their time.
Arranging for a good adult day care center to take care of your elderly father or mother takes a load off your mind. Before deciding to select the center for your parent, it would be a clever idea to get a feel of the place by talking to the staff and spending some time yourself to gauge the atmosphere. (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”)
“This way, you are sure that your parent is well taken care of and passing the time in a healthy and friendly environment.” (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”) They will get to know more people and enjoy the time spent at the center. This will prove to be invigorating for them and they will eat and sleep better, thus solving several problems associated with old age. (“Adult Day Care Center – Leaving Your Elders in Safe Hands”)
Best Wishes, Coyalita
Behavioral Health Rehabilitative Specialist
See Tomorrow: “Caring for The Elderly- A Stressful Job”
Just use your first name and valid email address – I will never sell or share your email address with anyone. Never. You may unsubscribe anytime. I hate spam just as much as you do.
Leave A Reply